I always make edible gifts for my family and friends for Christmas and they can always expect tea to be a main ingredient in at least one of their gifts! My family always appreciate shortbread so I have decided to make them look like Christmas trees this year. Shortbread is a great gift as it can be made at the last minute and can last for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
Ingredients (makes 10)
125g salted butter.
55g caster sugar.
180g sifted plain flour.
1 tbsp sifted Tombo Tea baking Matcha.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
2. Melt the butter on the hob and then stir in the sugar completely.
3. Stir in the plain flour until you get a smooth paste. [If you want the shortbread to be an even green colour then sift the Matcha in with the flour.]
4. Turn the dough out onto a very lightly floured surface. [If you want the shortbread to have a marbled effect like mine then sprinkle the Matcha onto the dough at this point.] Gently roll out the dough until it is around 1cm thick.
5. Use a cutter to cut the biscuits into Christmas tree shapes, put them onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and put them in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
6. Bake the shortbread in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, put them on a wire rack to cool.
I also made some Matcha and perl las scones…
I topped them with pumpkin seed butter and crispy cavolo nero to carry on the green theme. If you’d like to know the recipe for them just let me know.
Tombo Tea were kind enough to send me a selection of Japanese teas from their range including some baking Matcha. I cook and bake with Matcha a lot and have never found a cooking grade matcha that I have been happy with as they lose their colour so easily when cooked. That’s why this is the first Matcha recipe I have shared with you! Tombo’s baking Matcha is a blend of Matcha (from the Maruyama Tea Estate, Japan) and chlorella sea plant. The added chlorella sea plant means it keeps it’s vibrant colour. I was really pleased with the baking Matcha as it kept it colour well and it gave the shortbread and scones a lovely Matcha flavour!